Sunday, February 25, 2007

My Last Visit to the House


In May 1998 I happened upon the boarded up chapter house during a quick stop over on the way to Cooperstown with my son Robbie (pictured below). A bittersweet scene for me - my son's first introduction to the house, and the house teetering on its last legs.

The location was still majestic. The bones of the house, as dignified as ever. But its fate was clear, looking at the boards blocking our entry from the front door.

I'm not sure what you knew about the tearing down of the house, but even though I might have been made aware of it, it never registered with me... until that visit.

Last week I was on campus and tried to take a photo of the location of soon-to-be-erected memorial. There was too much snow there to do it justice. But I believe the tree just to the left front of the entry way still stands and the memorial will be just to its left.

Les

No comments: